Friday, September 11, 2009

Challenge #17 - Wiki, Wiki, Wiki

Wikis are collaborative Web sites that allows you to add, remove, and edit content with little to no knowledge of HTML. Wikis allow users (both registered and unregistered -- depending on the set-up) to collaborate of a project or discussion. You can set up a wiki that is open, or you can restrict it to members only. Members can be invited by you or can request an invitation. The most widely used and well-known wiki is Wikipedia, an open-community encyclopedia created entirely by its users.



What a great tool for the classroom.

Oh, the possibilities,

Set up your free wiki cite here. I set up a wiki for my College Comp II class.



After entering in my contact information, choosing a title for my wiki and a wiki url address, it took all of a grand total of 60 seconds for my wiki to be up and running.

Wetpaint, the host of my wiki, allows me to invite students to join. My wiki is closed to just those I invite; however, you can set it up much like a blog where anyone can have access to it and comment, though this was not for me.

Once my students join, I can begin to post discussion topics, assignments, or offer them a chance to leave feedback regarding a lesson or assignment.




Just think of the possibilities.

What to do . . . what to do.

I've only had my wiki up and running for about 10 minutes now, and I've already added my first discussion thread (a prompt that those who wish to join my wiki will have access to and can respond to) and a video.

It seems that every day I struggle to get discussions going in class. There are a dozen or so students who share and debate. But what about the other 22 kids? A handful of those will speak up once in awhile, but several will never speak a word. When I call on them, they have that "deer in the headlights" look. And it's not because they don't know what to say or haven't read the assignment. They have. They just don't want to share.

Yet, in their writings, they have strong voices and important ideas - from which we all could benefit.

If these students have access to a wiki via my class, they can have another forum to share their voices and ideas without the fear that keeps them quite in class.

Our Challenge to You:

Possibility #1 - Find a wiki that you would like to join. There are thousands of wikis out there. There has to be one that sparks your interest. Maybe it centers around one of your hobbies or interests. Maybe it centers around your subject area or discipline. Maybe it centers around an activity you advice or sport you coach. Join and get involved in the discussion.

Possibility #2 - Take the plunge and set up your own wiki to use with one of your classes. It's easy and secure. You need not use it every day. Simply use it for one assignment. Then see if you like it or not. Free wiki hosting sites include Wikispaces (which offers free educational wikis that allow you to create student accounts without email addresses), Wetpaint, and Wikidot.

Want to Know More?

Articles and Resources - Educational Wikis

No comments:

Post a Comment